Local attractions of Strahan
Strahan has been the home of Prospectors, Miners, Gordon River Piners, Millers, Fishermen, Railways, Ships, Sailors, and now, of course, for tourists and travellers.
Strahan is a central point for the South West World Heritage Area, Macquarie Harbour and the Gordon River, the 40km ‘Great Roaring’ Ocean Beach, the King River Gorge, and the West Coast Wilderness Railway.
There are now many local attractions and services to cater for this popular West Coast mecca, some of which are listed below.
A highlight of the region is the WEST COAST WILDERNESS RAILWAY – a picturesque railway running between Regatta Point (Strahan) and Queenstown. It takes in dense rainforest, deep gorges, and steep inclines & declines. This railway has been restored since the original was closed in 1963 after being used as a means of transport for the Mt Lyell Mining Co. in Queenstown. Call the railway on 03 6471 4300
Contact us to find out more about our region and what seasonal local attractions you can enjoy when you stay with Strahan Bungalows.
Recommended local attractions of Strahan:
- WORLD HERITAGE CRUISES – is an award winning family run company, operating state of the art vessel Eagle.
1800 611 796
- GORDON RIVER CRUISES – operates the state of the art Lady Jane Franklin.
03 6471 4300
- WEST COAST WILDERNESS RAILWAY – a picturesque railway running between Regatta Point (Strahan) and Queenstown.
Call the railway on 03 6471 4300
Experience the natural beauty of Strahan, Tasmania:
- THE BONNET ISLAND EXPERIENCE – A twilight experience. Cruise to the entrance of Macquarie Harbour and go ashore on BonnetIsland. Here you can view the little penguins in their natural habitat. Enjoy wine & cheese in the wilderness. Then cruise back to Strahan.
1800 420 155
- STRAHAN MARINE CHARTERS – Fishing Charter & Tours in and around Macquarie Harbour.
03 64 717 300
- HOGARTH FALLS – a beautiful, 40 min return nature walk through a rainforest reserve. You may be lucky enough to see a platypus in the creek. Begin your walk at People’s Park, on the Esplanade, approximately 30m past Risby Cove. “We think the falls are really worth seeing”.
- SAND BOARDING – hire a sand board and ride the Henty Dunes.
03 6471 7396
- GORDON RIVER PADDLE – Combines a cruise on Lady Jane Franklin II and a kayak on the iconic Gordon River.
1800 420 155
OTHER ATTRACTIONS/SERVICES INCLUDE;
- WEST STRAHAN BEACH
- STRAHAN FORESHORE
- WATER TOWER LOOKOUT
- TEEPOOKANA PLATEAU
- OCEAN BEACH
- MUTTON BIRD VIEWING
- MACQUARIE HEADS
- MOUNTAINOUS SAND DUNES
- ROW BOATS & CYCLING
- TUT’S WHITTLE WONDERS
- WILDERNESS WOODWORKS, Where you can buy quality Huon Pine products
- RISBY COVE GALLERY
- FORESTRY/PARKS & WILDLIFE
- WINE & CHEESE TASTING
- HOGARTH FALLS
- STRAHAN GOLF CLUB
- & much more..!